Since most of the diseases are caused due to imbalance in Vata dosha this treatment is said to cure half of the diseases.It has been referred as “Ardha Chikitsa”. Though this treatment can be used according to the gravity of the disease it is mainly to be performed in the varsha rutu [Rainy season] owing to the natural increase of Vata dosha in this season.
The administration of the liquid medicine through the rectal,urethral or vaginal route is collectively referred by the name Basti.Literally this term basti refers to the urinary bladder.
It is of mainly two types :
Niruha or asthapana basti:
Medicines used for the administration of basti when predominantly contains more quantity of kwatha – decoction.
Sneha basti- or Anuvasana basti – The drug administered in the basti when predominantly contains more quantity of oil.
The first one is given for usually shodhana and second one is for snehana.
Uttar Basti :
The administration of the medicines in urinary bladder in both sex,and the uterus in female.
Uttar Basti with combination of specific medicines also acts as a Niruha Basti:-
Lekhana – reducing
Brihmana – Tissue promoting
Shamana – Sedative for Dosha
Stambana – Antidiarrhoeal
Vrishya – Benificial to shukra etc.
To whome Niruha should be given ?
- Neurological disorder involving the whole body or one part of the body.
- Ekanga and Sarvanga roga of vata
- Obstruction in urination-Mutrasanga
- Loss of strength in body and discoloration-Balakshaya
- Hridrog-Diseases of heart
- All Gynaec disease (painful menses, uterine fibroid, Polycystic ovaries, infertility etc.)
- Loss of mansa and shukra
- Loss of sensation ,numbness in body parts-Angasupti
- Stiffness in body
- Diseases of spleen-Plihadosha
- Stiffness in body-Stambha
- All vata vyadhies
- Joints Diseases
- Facial paralysis-Ardita
- Pain due to calculus-Ashmari
- Eye Problems
To Whom Anuvasan should be given :
Who is suitable for Niruha usually suitable for Anuvasana
In all conditions where Niruha basti indicated,anuvasan basti is also beneficial.
Dryness of body
Very strong gastric fire
All vata diseases.
For oleation and Nutrition
All gynaec disorders like – Kashtartava (painful menses, uterine fibroid, Polycystic ovaries, infertility etc. )
How to give Basti :
For niruha – simple enema cane can be used.
For sneha Basti – glycerine syringe can be used.
Before Basti, patient is prepared by Abhyanga and Swedana he should lie down on left Latteral position putting left hand below the head, extending left leg straightly and flexing right leg in knee joint and putting on left thigh.This is the ideal position for basti.
How Basti is useful ?
- Basti eliviates vata and mala.
- Eliviates all dosha from pakwashaya
- It produces smoothness in intestine.
- It increases life span and delays old age.
- It promotes agni.
- It increases all tissue – promoting tissue metabolism.
- It brightens complexion.
- Beneficial for voice.
- Beneficial for memory.
Helps in epilepsy, myopathy, polio, hemiplegia, paraplegia, arthrstis, lumbosecral pain, ulcers, ulcerative colitis, headache, shukra dosha, stree roga and many other roga according to uses of drugs. Also cervical / Lumbar spondylasis ,all diseases of spines.it reduces the higher cholesterol and triglyceride levels.